Saturday, January 31, 2009

Flood, Flood, Flood

When water started to spill over some low lying areas here in Matu on Jan 28 and swelled on Jan 29, it looks like it's just a spill-over from the current king tide. But the round-the-clock downpour on Jan 29 and dawn of Jan 30 has got everybody a shocking morning call on Jan 30. Water has exceeded the previous flood level in mid Jan. I thought of not writing about it anymore but I feel that sharing it with friends will make me feel better and connected with the outside world in my total isolation now. No boat, no road! So I'm just updating the situation from my 'island' home here, thanks to this free internet service that kept Matu connected to the world.

My 'island' home - no boat, no road. The car porch is somewhere 5 feet down there. This is actually my first experience to be personally affected by flood and it taught me new things about patience, leadership and management besides new friends and bloggers as well. Blessing in disguise...

My office building which is a kilometer away form my home is like a floating vessel. The flood ops-room, the police and the JPA3 personnel are all on high spirit and full alert inside. This is taken from across the road in front of the building but the road is already soaked down there, only good for higher vehicles.

The five-foot way along Matu Bazaar was inches above water during the last flood but this time around, water has already gone above. What a time to happen, our Chinese friends are still in their festive mood. Hope it will bring good business for the year to come.

The Melanau longhouse at Kg. Sok, Matu on Jan 30. The bridge in front is still high above water though other areas around is already under water.

Jan 31 - That bridge has turned into a river. Water has risen by 2 feet in the last 24 hours. The longhouse is still safe and sound, thanks to the tall structure. I think this is one reason why we built tall houses, being people of the river a.k.a. 'a likou', water is just one step away. I'll write more about this Melanau longhouse, the one and only, in my later posting. As for now I just hope and pray to the Almighty that this flood will be over soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment